Pages

Friday 8 April 2011

Who are you (this time)?

Hello there from DD101 (intro to social  sciences).

I am on a new strand, called connected lives. It is spread over 3 chapters, and I have just finished the first, and the associated exercises. There are exciting new concepts for me to study and get my head around, and this week it has been all about identity.

Identity seems to have a very complex set of set of overlapping parameters, but each of these can be looked at individually and applied singly or in conjunction. There is personal ID, social ID, marked and unmarked IDs (disturbing). I will write more on these as my studies develop. what I would like to look at is a recent concept/theory of ID, which is being called  'Identity Capital'. This concept theorises along the lines that your personal history/achievments/memories and so on can be worth more in terms of your personal identity than that of someone whose life has been perhaps less "interesting". How can this be judged? What if you have had a long term illness which has excluded you ? Are your identity less worthy then? Consider this also. Your personal ID is  worthless (according to many theories) without the interaction of others. Go climb Everest, or learn to play the sitar, but if I ignore you it won't matter a jot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FZVD5lsAw .

No comments:

Post a Comment