Pages

Saturday 12 March 2011

Are supermarkets super?

The easy answer (for me at any rate), is no. I could simply leave it at that, but I am supposed to be writing about my studies, so here goes for this week.

The subject could be anything, but the point of the studies is to be able to take a critical stance on opposing arguments. Since my studies of contemporary UK society are related to consumerism, then supermarkets are the obvious choice, given that most consumption seems to happen in them. If degrees were being handed out to anyone with an opinion on such matters, then I would be the tutor. It will take discipline to work through the subject, and no little patience. Now before those who know me well completely crease with laughter, you should also remember just how damn stubborn I can get. That is one trait which I will be turning into a positive.

On to the question above. I remember my incredulity when ASDA launched George, its clothing line. Raging, I was, that a place where you buy your grub should take away the business of clothed shops. I don't expect to walk into Burton's and get some chicken fillets and spuds with my new strides. Especially not when sweatshops and child labour is a feature of its production. Supermarkets make the ludicrous claim that people in Bangladesh and other countries EXPLOIT labour markets to work in the factories who supply their lines. How do they know? They know because these people are paid more than other workers in similar jobs. BUT, and it is a big but, The wages paid to them are still less than the minimum they would need to live on in their respective countries.Yes, that's right, these cheeky people, who  are trying to live on less than £20 per month, are exploiting Wal-Mart. Well, I was nearly crying into my cornflakes when I read that.

Having an opinion doesn't mean that a person can claim to know stuff, or even to be particularly smart, but knowing what I now know, has given me the right express some opinions, chief amongst which: supermarkets aren't super.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTTSj-VU2u8

No comments:

Post a Comment