Pages

Sunday 6 March 2011

Week 4

Another week's study has passed, and as I surmised last week, the level of intensity has stepped up. I have been looking at consumerism this week, (how appropriate to this that Fight Club was on TV again this week, but I digress).
Consumerism, as I have studied this week is not simply a matter of expenditure and "stuff", though I have no doubt that theses will be looked at soon enough. It has been about why, where, how. It has also been about the conceptualisations of aspects of consumption proffered by 3 social scientists, looking as far back as the mid-nineteenth century, to the present day. Conspicuous consumption (Vebler), consuming to display identity (Susman), and the divisions created by consumer society described (by Bauman) as being between the seduced and the repressed.
The exercises have certainly been interesting, and ask the student often to look at themselves. Difficult to begin with, then with not much thought, worryingly easy.
Do I feel confident enough to posit a summary. Well, I could just quote the textbooks in relation to the wider consumer society and say the following:-
We are more concerned today with definition of ourselves by our hobbies/interests than our occupation/profession.
That we display through consumption, an identity that we wish to be known by.
That we are all able to consume, regardless of income.

On a personal level, I can say that all of the above can apply to me at different times for different reasons or audiences, and consumerism is mighty hard to avoid. Even if you avoid Tesco et al, and like to shop in terms of far trade or reduction of your carbon footprint, it is still consumption. Not a happy ending, I know, but there must be plenty of ways in which to redress the balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment